Friday, August 28, 2009

Chipboard Mini Albums


One of the very cool demonstrations was this great little chipboard album. I whipped up a couple on Monday, and I think this year they might be included in some of my Christmas gifts. They are really easy to make, and don't use a lot of supplies. Remember those hockey card holders that were a little bit stronger than the regular ones? Well, make sure you stop by your local trading card store, because you are going to want to make a whole bunch of theses! Someone suggested that you can get them from the dollar store, but I found that they were actually cheaper at sports card stores. I got my chipboard from the scrapbook store in Hyde Park (how scary is that it's like walking distance from my house?) and she carries black chipboard as well as the traditional kraft colour. I used the Big Shot to create texture on the cardstock for both albums, and some coordinating ribbon. I liked the black because I didn't have use DSP, just some embellishments. I think it looks really classy, what do you think?

So just to give everyone an update on the Fair, we are busy preparing for all the classes, so hopefully I should have some samples to post soon. I have seen a few of the projects and I CAN'T WAIT! Alesha, Kristine, Caitlyn and I had a meeting last night at Kristine's house, to discuss some details, and figured out the layout of the booth. We are going to have TONS of samples, videos of some amazing demonstrations and slide shows of even MORE samples. If our booth doesn't spark your creativity, I'm not sure what will! It was a fun night...including the unfortunate end to a few spiders and a minor issue involving the front end of my car, which to those involved, I found it all actually quite funny and was NOT a big deal, oddly enough I think it was the highlight of my week...

Here is the tutorial for the Chipboard Mini Albums (and thank you to Jodie for designing it!):

Supplies: Chipboard, Whisper White cardstock, Sticky Strip, hockey card holders, DSP or cardstock and embellishments for the covers

  1. Cut one piece of Whisper White, 9" x 3 ½". Whisper White cardstock as it is thinner and will hold together the best!
  2. Accurately measure on the 9" side of this piece every ½", mark with pencil. **This must be accurate or the spin will not sit flat.
  3. Then score at each pencil mark and fold accordion style.
  4. With the first and last edges facing down (this is the side of the spine that will show) place Sticky Strip on every other space between each score line from top to bottom starting with the second space. The first and last spaces are where you will attach the covers to. **Leave the red on the Sticky Strip for now!
  5. With the first and last edges facing upward mark the following ½" spaces with an X; 3-4, 7-8, 11-12, 15-16. This is where the hockey cards will go.
  6. Sticky Strip the "closed" end of the hockey card holders on both sides. **Use full pieces of Sticky Strip for this project, small cut pieces will not hold.
  7. Then peel the red off the Sticky Strip on the front and back of the hockey cards, centre in the sections you marked with an X, and stick both sides in. Continue until all four cards are in place.
  8. Flip over and peel the red off the Sticky Strip from Step 4, and adhere together.
  9. For the covers, cut 2 pieces of chipboard measuring 4 ½" x 3 ½". After trying the smaller cutters, I found the Table Top Cutter works excellent for cutting chipboard of any thickness! If you use thinner chipboard it looks good when you round the corners, but don't try it with the thicker chipboard.
  10. Before adhering the cover to the spine, you will want to decorate the front cover of your albums. As well cut three more pieces of coordinating cardstock or paper for the insides and back cover.
Here is a picture of what the inside should look like:
Enjoy!!

0 comments:

Blogger template 'Orange' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008